Summary: In this article, we will show which fields are necessary to import and format your data file so you have the best experience with Organizer.
Remember that all files imported into Organizer must be .csv file types and have under 50,000 records.
* For information on importing from PDI, VAN, or Nationbuilder, please review the following links:
Political Data Inc. Compatibility
VAN Best Practices
Required System Fields
All uploads need the following data mapped to Organizer in order to function correctly in our system:
Primary ID – a unique identifier assigned to each voter or contact
Street Name and Type
City – (only required if the Zip is not included)
State – (only required if the Zip is not included)
If your data does not meet these requirements, you will receive an error message.
Organizer System Field Types
Fields can be one of two types, numeric or text, as indicated by the icon next to the field name. Numeric fields can use greater/less than function during filters; however, text columns are limited to either equal or include a list when filtering. Numeric fields will not recognize text (non-number, including "-" and "/"). This is important when cleaning your data because Precinct for example is a numeric field and if your precinct column contains letter that field will not upload properly.
Cleaning Your File
1. Check that street number, street name, and apartment are three separate fields. If needed use the concatenate function to combine all elements of the street name (prefix, street, suffix, type: North Main St).
2. Double check that some values do not go beyond the existing data. This is common when pasting a formula down many rows.
3. Check that fields you want to use as numeric fields for filtering contain only numbers.
4. Remove any unwanted fields.
For a detailed step by step guide to separating and combining column information with Concatenate and Text to Columns, refer to our Excel Tips and Tricks article.
1. Include geocodes in your file with Longitude and Latitude fields.
2. Keep your import files under 50,000 voters. The file will import faster and be more manageable if they are smaller.
3. Set aside at least 48 hours to prep and import your data before it needs to be used in an Effort.
For instructions on re-importing a failed import, please visit the Minimum Import Requirements Guide